Six Ways To Look and Feel Six Years Younger
As our body begins to age we start noticing a little line here and sag or bag there, which makes us look and feel older than we really are. There are many factors that contribute to the breakdown of elastin and collagen in our skin including excessive sun exposure, poor diet, genetics, sleep deprivation, loss of fat in the face and unfortunately the list goes on. However, on a positive note, there have been many advancements in the field of cosmetic dermatology to help alleviate these common trouble spots.
1. Thinning Lashes and Brows Hormone levels and over-tweezing of eyebrows over time thins out your eyebrows and lashes. Tweezing can also damage hair follicles, which make it harder for them to grow the hairs back.
Solution: Latisse and Revitalash are solutions to help stimulate growth of lushes lashes and eyebrows. Results are often seen within 2-4 weeks.
2. Turkey Neck Age, hereditary and years of sun damage may lead to lax skin around the neck which is the dreaded “turkey neck.”
Solution Coating the neck with a moisturizing sunscreen will help protect the skin from the harmful rays of the sun. Fractional CO2 laser treatments do wonders in tightening the delicate skin around the neck and improving the texture and tone. Radiofrequency devices such as Pelleve or AccentXL also help stimulate the production of collagen in the neck, therefore, creating a tighter neck.
3. Aged Hands Years of sun damage may cause wrinkling of the skin, age spots (solar lentigines) and uneven skin tone.
Solution: Laser treatments such as IPL/BBL and fractional CO2 help repair sun damaged skin and remove discoloration. Dermal fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm or Radiesse can help plump up the hands to give them a more youthful appearance.
4. Tired Eyes with Bags and Discoloration Your skin is the thinnest around your eyes and often times the first place to see the signs of aging.
Solution: At home using a daily eye cream that has growth factors or peptides does wonders for lightening the eyes and keeping the skin around the eyes plump. For wrinkles around the eyes, Botox or Dysport can be used to give it a nice smooth appearance. The “Madonna Lift” which uses the fractional CO2 resurfacing laser effectively tightens the skin on the upper and lower lids.
5. Wrinkles and Dull Skin Loss of collagen and elasticity reduces skin volume causing fine lines and wrinkles. Factors such as hereditary, sun exposure, smoking and dynamic muscle movements affect how fast we age. Using our facial muscles such as laughing, frowning and squinting form lines on our face.
Solution: At home daily use of sunscreens helps to protect the skin. Retinoids, peptides and vitamin C are also great solutions to help keep the skin looking radiant. Botox and fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm and laser treatments do wonders in tightening the skin, providing volume, lifting the cheeks and tightening the jowls.
6. Loose Skin and Cellulite We lose collagen as we age, gain and lose weight (post pregnancies), and the surge of hormone levels may cause loose skin and cellulite around the abdomen, thighs and buttocks.
Solution: Pelleve or AccentXL is a radiofrequency device that is FDA approved to treat rhytids (wrinkles) and may be used for the abdomen, thighs, face and neck to tighten loose skin.