Karl A. Smith, DDS, LLC
601 Post Office Road
Waldorf, MD 20602
Karl A. Smith, DDS, LLC
2500 N. Van Dorn Street
Alexandria, VA 22302
Enjoy a Stress-Free Dental Visit
For many patients, dental anxiety is a very real issue. In fact, fear of the dentist can prevent people from seeking and planning the important care they may need to maintain a beautiful smile and a healthy body. There is good news – dental anxiety can be overcome. A dentist with advanced training and skilled staff members can even offer sedation options to help ease your fears and eliminate the stress of general dental care, cosmetic dentistry, and advanced gum treatments.
Your dental visits can be more enjoyable when you:
• Share your fears with the dental office. The more they understand, the more they can help you.
• Avoid caffeinated beverages, as these can increase your feelings of nervousness.
• Find a dentist who offers sedation.
• Avoid high-stress traffic situations by arriving early to your appointment.
• Breathe deeply during the appointment to help your body stay calm and relaxed.
• Learn as much as you can in regards to your treatment. Ask questions about the planned procedures, recovery time, options, etc. The more you know, the less you’ll be afraid of the unknown.
Yes, You Can Laugh At the Dentist
Laughing gas, or nitrous oxide, has been used routinely in many dental offices since 1863. It’s a safe, effective sedation option for dental patients seeking a way to control feeling overly anxious about their treatments. Nearly 75% of patients experience mild to severe dental anxiety.
Sedation dentistry is a great choice if:
• You are uncomfortable in the dentist’s office.
• You are too scared to even call the dentist to make an appointment.
• You are phobic about needles and/or anxious about dental drills.
• You have had a previous painful experience at the dentist’s office.
• You are dealing with general anxiety, mood, or post-traumatic stress disorders.
• You are feeling out of control or helpless.
• You have a low pain threshold or fear of pain.
• You have a sensitive gag reflex.
Sleeping Is an Option
With modern dentistry, advanced gum treatment and dental implants, it is now possible to relax in total comfort before, during and after your planned dental treatment. Sedation dentistry is safe and surprisingly simple.
Patients are provided with a pill the evening before their visit to help them relax and ensure a restful night’s sleep. Then, an hour before the appointment, another safe, quick-acting sedative with virtually no side effects is taken by mouth. Because it makes you drowsy, you’ll need to be driven back and forth to your appointment. Once you are comfortably situated, your dental treatment can begin. Patients are conscious during oral sedation dentistry, but are in a state of such deep relaxation they often fall asleep.
When you choose the option of “sleep dentistry” you can:
• Avoid the unpleasant tastes, noises, smells, and pain that you may have associated with dental treatment.
• Feel completely relaxed, calm and comfortable.
• Save time by consolidating all of your dental treatment into a single visit.
• Wake up to a better smile and a healthier mouth.
• Have a quicker recovery time with less stress through your entire dental treatment.
Dental sedation is a modern miracle. Dentists who offer this advanced treatment option can finally help fearful patients relax and obtain the dental treatment they need. For many, it is the answer they have been looking for all their life. Take control of your dental health and make an appointment with a dentist who offers sedation today.