fbpx
Your Guide To Doctors, Health Information, and Better Health!
Your Health Magazine Logo
The following article was published in Your Health Magazine. Our mission is to empower people to live healthier.
Andrea Grant, Owner
The Effects Of CBD Hemp Extract on Opioid Use
Bethesda Health and Wellness
. https://bethesdahealthandwellness.com/

The Effects Of CBD Hemp Extract on Opioid Use

The Effects Of CBD Hemp Extract on Opioid Use

Chronic pain is highly prevalent in most of the industrialized nations around the world. About 20% of U.S. adults experience chronic pain, according to a study. Opioids are a class of drugs naturally found in the opium poppy plant. They work in the brain to produce a variety of effects, including pain relief. Typically the pain may be caused by inflammation or dysfunctional nerves. Opioids can be prescription medications often referred to as painkillers, or they can be street drugs, such as heroin.

Many prescription opioids are used to block pain signals between the brain and the body and are typically prescribed to treat moderate to severe pain. In addition to controlling pain, opioids can make some people feel relaxed, happy or “high,” and can be addictive.

In recent years, there has been a dramatic increase in the acceptance and use of prescription opioids for the treatment of chronic, non-cancer pain, such as back pain or even osteoarthritis, according to the CDC. Opioid abuse is a serious national crisis that affects public health as well as social and economic welfare.

In a study published by the NIH, the context was that cannabinoids, and specifically cannabidiol (CBD), were proposed as an opioid alternative, having comparable efficacy with better safety profile. The objective of the study was to investigate the impact of full hemp extract cannabidiol (CBD) on opioid use and quality of life indicators among chronic pain patients. An initial sample of 131 patients was recruited from a private pain management center. Ninety-seven patients completed the eight-week study – the patients were between 30-65 years old with chronic pain and have been on opioids for at least one year. The results were that over half of chronic pain patients (53%) reduced or eliminated their opioids within eight weeks after adding CBD-rich hemp extract to their regimens. Almost all CBD users (94%) reported quality of life improvements.

Another equally compelling study was conducted by seven pain clinics in Southern California. A total of 253 participants were recruited for a study about the effects of Cannabidiol (CBD) as treatment for chronic pain. The majority of the respondents reported using CBD for back and neck pain; however, others used it for limb and nerve pain as well as for Fibromyalgia and migraines. In a 32-question survey, the findings were as follows:

  • 19.9% that CBD “completely” helped their chronic pain while 39.1% reported CBD helped “a lot” or a total 59 percent responded favorable.
  • 67.6% “strongly agree” or “agreed” that CBD enabled them to reduce the amount of pain medication while taking CBD products.
  • 53.7% of the respondents “strongly agreed” or “agreed” that CBD enabled them to reduce the amount of opioid medication they were taking.

According to the CDC, between 1999–2019, nearly 500,000 people died from opioid overdose. Until recently, opioid addiction treatment was limited to Methadone, Buprenorphine and Naltrexone. These findings suggest that CBD can offer an alternative for people who have chronic pain and rely on medications, such as opioids, that can be habit-forming and cause more side effects. CBD has no recorded history of addiction partly because our bodies naturally produce a type of cannabinoid.

www.yourhealthmagazine.net
MD (301) 805-6805 | VA (703) 288-3130