- Preventive Dentistry
- Oral Surgery
- Implant Dentistry
- Sedation Dentistry
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Dental Implant Placement
- Crown Lengthening
- Pocket Reduction
- Gum Grafting
- Sinus Lift
- Bone Grafting
- Periodontal Disease
- Diagnosing Periodontal Disease
- Treatment of Periodontal Disease
- Maintenance Care (Cleaning)
- Gum Recession
- Root Amputation
- Dental Implants
- Implant Options
Accepted Insurance Plans
- We accept most major dental insurances
- Credit Card
Karl A. Smith, DDS, MS
Dr. Karl Smith specializes in periodontics and implantology. As a periodontist, Dr. Smith specializes in treatment of gum disease, the maintenance of periodontal health, cosmetic smile enhancement procedures, and dental implants to replace teeth that are missing. Although no one likes to go to the doctor or dentist, we strive to make your visits with us as comfortable and pleasant as possible. We strongly believe that our patients’ comfort is an important part of quality dental care.
Dr. Smith believes that your right to choose a dentist is an important freedom. We work closely with your dentist, but a referral by a dentist is not required to visit our office. We also welcome referrals from patients and friends of the practice. Everyone that is interested in keeping their teeth for a lifetime should see a periodontist.
Dr. Smith’s colleagues describe him as a gentle, easy-going person, and people come from near and far to experience the comfort and professionalism of his office and patient-oriented staff. He is consistently rated by his peers as a Top Dentist in Virginia Living, Washingtonian Magazine, and Northern Virginia Magazine.
What to expect on a visit with Dr. Smith:
Dr. Smith says that “From the first phone call you will be treated with care and concern for your unique dental condition. Every question you have ever had about your dental health will be covered as well as any financial considerations you may have. It is my goal to care for each and every person that comes through my doors and to exceed your expectations from a dental office. I promise to always give you honesty and accuracy when it comes to your treatment. I will never start treatment without your full knowledge, understanding, and acceptance of your condition.”
Degrees, Training & Certifications
- University of California, Los Angeles – Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree – 1981
After graduation immediately entered General Practice in the U.S. Air Force Dental Corps.
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio and Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center – Completed 3 Additional Years of Advanced Training in the Specialty of Periodontics, Dental Anesthesia and Implants – 1992
Retired from the U.S. Air Force as a Lieutenant Colonel after four years of reserve and fifteen years of meritorious world-wide active duty service in 1996.
Dr. Smith ambitiously completed a Master of Business Administration degree with a Certificate in Health Services Management while working full time as a Periodontist.
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation
- International Team for Implantology
- Academy of Osseointegration
- Northern Virginia Dental Society
- Virginia Dental Association
- Virginia Society of Periodontists Past-President
- Maryland State Dental Association
- Millennium Dental Study Club
- Western Society of Periodontology
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- Alexandria Dental Society
- Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry
- Fellowship in DOCS (A Sedation Organization for Dentists)
He won the John Pritchard Prize for outstanding research which included looking for a vaccine against bacteria that cause periodontal disease.
Articles by this Professional:
- Improve Your Health This New Year: Take Care Of Your Teeth and Gums
- Healthy Mouth Equals Healthy Body
- Enjoy a Stress-Free Dental Visit
- Your Beautiful Smile Investment Is Protected by Complete Periodontal Health
- Eat Better and Get Healthy With Great-Fitting Dentures
- Laser Dentistry Can Provide Amazing Benefits
- How Does Periodontal Health Help Build a Beautiful Smile?
- Do I Need A Periodontist?
- Can Gum Disease Affect Your Cardiovascular Health?
- Women's Teeth and Gums
- Can Periodontal Health Create a Beautiful Smile?
- Fight Back Against Heart Disease
- Cancer and Periodontal Disease
- Why Should I Visit a Periodontist?
- What Is a Periodontist? Do You Need To See One? Part Two
- What Is a Periodontist? Part 2
- What Is a Periodontist? Do I Need To See One? Part One
- Technology In Dentures and Dental Implants
- What Is a Periodontist? Do I Need To See One?
- Fight Back Against Diabetes, Heart Disease and Stroke
- Improve Your Overall Health This New Year Take Care Of Your Teeth and Gums
- What Is a Periodontist? Do I Need To See One? Part 2
- High-Tech Laser Dentistry For Gum Disease and More
- Fight Back Against Heart Disease Schedule A Dental Appointment Today
- What Is A Periodontist?
- Periodontists and Your Overall Wellness
- Dental Implant Technology Can Help You Regain Your Smile
- Why Should You See a Periodontist?
- Get a Life a Healthier One